Sunday, November 15, 2009

Port.

This was my first experience with port and I am really glad we picked this up. Victory Tawny by R.L. Buller & Son.

The color in the glass was beautiful. Being clueless I wasn't sure what color "tawny" was supposed to be. This particular one is dark in the glass. Towards the bottom there is a lovely ruby highlight. At the edge of the glass, as you look down, you can see the lovely tawny color. A kind of brown amber.

The scent is like a perfume. Not some overly floral sinus choking stench but a lovely bouquet with a hint of sugar in it. I love smelling this wine. This is the best smelling wine we've blogged about and the best I've ever had.

The taste is smooth. Soft. Very sweet and delicate on the tongue. I freaking love this stuff. There is a definite woodiness that is absolutely lovely. I just really don't have the vocabulary to do justice to the description. Trust me, it's well worth the money.

Remember how I said I would never give out 5 stars? I was wrong. This port completely deserves 5 stars. Or whatever unit of happiness you want to use.

We baked shortbread cookies that have a chocolate drop in them. Not the best choice for this wine. The sweetness of the semi-sweet chocolate didn't really work with the woody aromatic of the port. The shortbread part of the cookie wasn't bad with it, though. Fresh bread just came out of the oven. Hot buttered bread should be a much better match.

Recap. 5 out of 5 units of tasty, happiness. Oh yeah, there's quite the alcohol content but it's not harsh at all. It'll sneak up on you. Don't drive. Seriously.