Saturday, October 24, 2009

Casillero del Diablo

Ah, Halloween. My favorite time of year.

We'll be reviewing a spooky little number to keep up the ghastly festivities.

Casillero del Diablo is Chilean Merlot circa 2008. This was my first Chilean wine. It was good. I've come to realize that region doesn't guarantee good or bad. It really depends upon the art of the vintner. This was a nice spicy little number. Not a huge flavor, but I am coming down with a cold so take that with a grain of salt. Not the best Merlot we've had but it was nice and it's appropriate for Halloween. We've reviewed worse.

I think we paid about $12 for it. Good bargain, nice price, seasonally appropriate.

Normally I'd say the label art was bland but I really like the old fashioned calligraphy font used and the devil faced seal. Adorable.

So if you're looking for a bottle to pick up for a spooky little get together, I recommend Casillero del Diablo by vina Concha Y Toro.