Friday, October 9, 2009

337, Not just a number, but a wine. I need 336 more bottles.

Last week I opened a bottle of 337 that we picked up at Sam's Club. It's a Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 from Napa Valley. Apparently they cloned these grapes from some vines in Bordeaux, which is why they call it 337, as that was the batch name. They are in Lodi, California, in the middle of wine country, which seems to have a knack for producing wines of extraordinary quality.

I've had 337 before, and bought it from all places, Sam's Club. For $9.99 a bottle, it's not a bad bottle of wine at all. It has an exceedingly pleasant aroma, that has more berry smell, than grapes. Wen you taste it, there's a myraid of flavors ranging from grapes, to berries, to some kind of chocolatey finish. I think there's some coffee flavor to it as well. It's an even balance of fruit, that isn't overwhelmed by the spiciness of something that is elusive at this time. I know it will come to me, but probably not tonight. I'm writing this later than normal due to the fact that when I drank this, the wife was working and she and I usually post our articles together. I was actually drinking wine, and working on projects, and got sidetracked.

Drinking a glass of this has some definite perks. One of which is the feeling one gets when you've tasted something refined. For being only $9.99 a bottle, it strikes me as being a little more refined, and pulled together than let's say some of the wines I've had that were considerably more expensive. Coppolla makes a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, but for half the price, you can buy this and be twice as pleased.

The subtle hint of spice, perhaps Cardamom, or some other variant, along with the blackberry, gives this wine a wonderful flavor. Especially if you're eating something like Chicken, or Cajun food. The color is also beautiful. It has a fragrant aroma that masks the alcohol content, and of course, there's the conservatively labeled bottle, which I thoroughly enjoy.

On my scale of 1 to 5, I give this wine a 5 for the bottle, 5, for the flavor, 4 for the aroma, and a 5 for the price.

Over all, I give it a solid 5. Why? Because for the money, you are getting something better than what you deserve. Seriously.