Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Little Penguin that could

As my husband already noted, this was my choice. I'll admit up front that the sale price reeled me in. Hah! Get that? Reeled me in? Just a little reference back to the Fish Eye wine that started this blog out. Which was also my choice, cheap and on sale.

After one Patented Alcoholic Serving my reasoning and typing skills leave a lot to be desired. Honestly, as much as I like this wine it does leave something to be desired.

So let's cover the basics. Pinot Noir. 2008. Southeastern Australia. Cheap. Worth buying.

First impressions: When my husband poured out our glasses there was a very powerful aroma of alcohol. Which led me to believe this would be another example of "you get what you pay for" in wines. No determinate scents of fruit or oak or whatever the fuck wine snobs go off on.

Imagine my surprise when my first sip was so smooth! Smooth, light (for a red) and no strange after taste. There is a light scent of grapes. But not much scent at all. Took a long while to feel the alcohol content. I like that.

Seemed prudent to eat while doing this tasting. Paired it with this Cajun bean & rice dish I made earlier. The Little Penguin stood up to the Cajun spices nicely. You really could pair this with nearly anything that is Red Wine appropriate.

I'm quite tempted to go back on Monday and pick up another bottle. I'm curious to find out what the 2008 tastes like in 2010.

Solid 3 out of 5.

Good general table wine, cute label art, good price. This is one to recommend. Go visit their website and learn more about Australian wines. I'm going to.