Saturday, September 19, 2009

Echelon Merlot 2005 - OMG

Echelon makes one fantastic Merlot!

Seriously, best Merlot I've ever had. Currently Best Wine Overall, as well. But this blog is still new so I have some high hopes.

We'll start with the color. Beautiful dark maroon, hints of purple and red in the highlights. Aroma, not very strong, but delicate. First taste impression: smooth. Very smooth. Good. Not sweet. Not overpowering. Hardly any sense of the alcohol. It was all flavor. I'm not as good as my husband in describing flavor. After one glass I finally realized that my legs and arms weren't quite responding as well as they normally do. Oh yeah, baby, this is the stuff.

Before drinking I had eaten Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Cheap chocolate. After my first glass I decided that some real food on my stomach would be a good thing. So leftover Chicken Pesto pasta it was. I have to say that this wine goes better with chocolate than Chicken Pesto pasta.

This is a very good wine. On my scale of 1 to 5 it gets a 4. I reserve the 5 rating for the Nectar of the Gods. In other words, the 5 will be a nearly unattainable rating. The bottle art gets a 2. I hate conservative art. I like the celtic knot on the front but really it needed some neon.

If you want to impress someone, this is the bottle to do it with. I also highly recommend pairing this wine with really good chocolate. Like Godiva chocolates. You're sure to get some romantic reciprocation if you surprise your love with a bottle of this and a box of high end chocolate.

The Wild Kingdom effect is currently taking place in my brain and the higher functions are losing out. Time to go slug back another glass of Echelon.