Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fisheye Merlot 2006

You've already read through my husband's post. I'll be giving my opinion of Fish Eye Merlot as well. It's always good to have a second opinion, right?

Let's start with the basics. I'm not refined in my taste. I also am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. Fish Eye Merlot was my choice at the liquor store. Why? Because I liked the pretty label art, it was a merlot and it was cheap. I'm a cheap date. Or was. I'm married now. Since I'm digressing anyway let me describe my decision making process when choosing wines.

First I wander around the store looking at the label artwork. Is it pretty? Boring? Just a name in a bland font? Or is it witty sounding with intriguing art? Then I move on to what kind of wine it is? Riesling? Eek, no. Bad past experience with that. Zinfandel? Girly, might have to talk the husband into it. Merlot? Always a good call for us. Actually, we seem to both enjoy reds of any kind. Then the price. At this point remember my earlier comment about being cheap.

Which brings us back around to discussing Fish Eye Merlot. Intriguing art, Merlot and cheap.

I don't have a problem with screw top caps. Read an article somewhere about how a lot of wineries were moving to screw caps because the technology was now such that screwcaps created a better seal than traditional corks. Something about corks not being always reliable and a bottle or two can have the flavors go off. Had to get the husband to open it. I was not being lazy. Stupid thing wouldn't open for me.

Upon opening it smelled really nice. Made me think, "Ah, so this is what 'Fruity' means." Poured two small glasses. Still had a pleasant aroma and nice color. Taste was only ok. Not bad, not great, but fine. Nice kick to it. After the alcohol kicked in and I had a few more sips the taste seemed to get a bit better. Told you I was a cheap date. The back label description is:
"The nose is ripe and fruity with plums and dark fruits. The palate is soft and long. Serve with pasta, turkey, pork or beef."
Not sure what they mean by palate or the soft and long. Whatever. Ripe and fruity I'll agree with. I'm going to have mine with chicken tacos.

Conclusion? Worth the $5.99 it cost. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. When sitting around drinking with friends this wouldn't be the first bottle I open. Probably the second.