Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Little Penguin, Pinot Noir 2008

The Little Penguin or... Happy Me.

This wine comes from Australia, apparently South Eastern Australia where everything is surprisingly subdued. The label boasts a Spicy Rich Flavor, which is utter nonsense. It's about as bland as a plain baked potato. However it does have an incredibly nice finish, that is also incredibly smooth. The aroma is pretty bland, nothing special, and the taste in my honest opinion wasn't overwhelming at all. In fact, if this wine were a part of your house, it would be wallpaper.

Utterly unremarkable, and completely boring. Which is perfect for a table wine. You can drink this wine with Donuts in the morning, and it would taste every bit as good as if you had a porter house steak.

I drank a glass of it, and thought, there really wasn't anything special about it, and then about a half hour later the impairment set in. One glass, and blotto. There's a lot of alcohol in this wine and if you're looking for a cheap buzz, this is it. Winos look out. At $5.99 a bottle, this will go over quite well with the college crowd. Cheap buzz, with cheap booze.

Please don't think that all we drink is the cheap stuff, we drink a lot of different things in our home, but the label, and the fact that this was on sale spoke to my wife, so we got it. I myself would have chosen something else, but I will have to say for the value, it is exceptionally good.

It has a bland taste, high alcohol content, smooth finish. Upon pouring the second glass, I took another sniff, and there's literally no smell at all. I think these people should get into the Vodka making business, as they have the odorless bland thing going already.

Upon having another drink, I've decided that the only thing this wine is really good for, is truth serum. I'm of the mind that if you gave this to any person you needed to get secrets out of, within two glasses they'd be telling you everything. I've seen Sodium Penethol that was less effective. Not that Sodium Penethol is that effective anyway. Im Vino Veritas, they say. This would definitely fall into that category as the alcohol content is completely understated.

I'm not sure how they masked the scent of alcohol, but I'm sure that they probably did it by accident. Whatever they've made this wine out of, can't be all that fragrant. What this wine needs is some kind of aroma. Give me something to work with!

On my trusty scale of 1 to 5. I give this a solid 3. Label art is good. Nice and conservative. The aroma, is dull as dirt. The taste, bland as bland gets, but the finish is perfect. Alcohol content, is far more than expected, and the fact that it would go with just about anything you served speaks volumes as it is truly a table wine.

My only disappointment is the lack of scent. There's nothing to this wine that really makes it distinctive, or flavorful. Then again, that may have been the point. I would serve this with corn dogs, chili, or with some kind of really good dessert. Hell, I'd drink this with breakfast if I wasn't planning to do anything during the day.

That's all for now. I'm barely functional as it is.